The Bottom Line On Sitting
Millions of people working from their homes and offices are spending way too much time in their chairs. This is a habit that can lead to more than just a numb bum!
Too much sitting sets you up for a host of physical problems including poor circulation, chronic back and nerve pain, depression, osteoporosis, swollen spinal disks, fatigue and many other health problems. In fact, according to Health Day News, Canadian researchers found that prolonged daily sitting could cause these problems even if you exercise regularly. Stand Up for Yourself
According to the Presidents Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, the U.S. will spend $1.5 trillion over the next 10 years treating a wide range of debilitating ailments resulting from sedentary lifestyle such as diabetes, depression, osteoporosis, certain cancers, and even sexual dysfunction. They've even coined their own term, Sedentary Death Syndrome (SeDS), as a growing life-threatening risk for many unsuspecting Americans.
No need to worry though. You can stand strong with these Sitting Solutions:
- 50/10 RULE: Don't sit for more than 50 minutes. Set a timer and take 10 when it rings.
- BE A SWINGER: Stand with hands on your hips and legs slightly more than shoulder width apart. Rotate your hips clockwise in a full range of motion ten times and then reverse it. Stand sideways next to your desk. Put all your weight on your right leg and gently swing your left leg forwards and backwards 10 times. Repeat with other leg.
- DON'T BE A CROOKED SITTER OR SLOUCHER: Sit up straight. If you find this difficult, uncomfortable or painful, call our office and schedule an appointment. Your spine may have a misalignment with nerve pressure, a subluxation, which needs correcting.
- TAKE YOUR LUNCH BREAK: Get up and go somewhere even if you bring something in.
- GO MOBILE: Attach a portable unit to your stationary phone or use a cell.
- HOLD "MEETINGS ON THE MOVE": Take a walk through the building, meet clients on a hiking trail or stroll outdoors.
- PUT A LUMBAR PILLOW IN YOUR CHAIR
- INVEST IN AN ERGONOMIC CHAIR
- STAND UP AND SURF: Raise your workstation or monitor so you can net surf and type while standing.
- GO TO THE GYM - BUT STAY OFF THE STATIONARY BIKETake Care of Your Spine
Sitting is to the spine like sugar is to the teeth except you can't replace your spine after it rots away. Chiropractic Lifestyle Care provides gentle adjustments to the spine that can eliminate pain and improve your health.
These Sitting Solutions will improve your health and quality of life dramatically.
Copyright 2015 The Family Practice, Inc., Dr. Eric Plasker and The 100 Year Lifestyle. All Rights Reserved.
This article is provided by Gard Wellness Center
your 100 Year Lifestyle Affiliate Chiropractor in Cary NC
[ Go back ]